What's The Worst That Can Happen?
Updated: Aug 11, 2019
I used to not take holiday or worry about work for the times I did take holiday. I never rested. I alway thought I was letting other people down by not working, not giving my clients the attention and service they deserve...
I bet you've done the same, right?
I've spent thousands on holidays only to be sat on a tropical beach somewhere, on my laptop. To me it was the norm. You see people sitting by the pool in Mexico on their laptops ALL THE TIME! Wrong.
You really don't see it. It's a bit weird if i'm honest and it took me years to get out of the habit. I used to stress myself out to such an extent that I wouldn't enjoy myself and it really wasn't worth me going on the holidays in the first place because I wouldn't relax.
These days are a bit different.
I've learnt how to work in such a way that I can now take time off without feeling i'm letting others down and making sure that my clients are happy and looked after whilst I am away.
I'm off to see The Spice Girls at Wembley this week. I "was there the first time" about 20 years ago and there was no way I was going to miss it this time either. It'll mean i'm off work for 2 days. 4, if you include the weekend too. So, what can I do to make sure I enjoy myself and not worry about other peoples whilst i'm gone?
1) Understand that i'm not THAT important. The world will continue to spin if i'm not there.
2) Get as much work done as possible before I go. This may mean working a few extra hours to cover jobs I would have done on those days.
3) Give my clients warning and a reminder that I will be off.
4) Ensure there are systems in place (if need be) before I go.
5) Understand that there may be catch up work to do on my return.
6) Remind myself it's only a few days.
7) UNDERSTAND THAT I DESERVE A BREAK TOO!
So, next time you're beating yourself up for taking time off, or if you're not taking time off because you think the world will stop spinning, just give yourself a break, plan, and enjoy!
What's the worst that can happen?
Until next time,